Re: Home Depot

From: Eric Schlosser (Eric.Schlosser@urz.uni-heidelberg.de)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date:          Mon, 21 Apr 1997 14:08:40 MET-1MEST
From: "Eric Schlosser" <Eric.Schlosser@urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Home Depot

> >From: Thomas W. Hanley
> >all the plants are doing well except the D.adelea. I have yet to ever get
> this species >to live. I'd love some advice from anyone out there.

> I had haphazard luck with D. adelae until I stuck them in an aquarium under
> fluorescent lights. Now they grow like weeds, managing to catch all sorts
> of little prey that go unnoticed by the humans in the house.
> 2. The adelae are grown in a sand/peat mix (1 to 1).
> allow air exchange.
> 5. Avoid setting the pots in water. D. adalae does not like soppy
> conditions.
> David

I have several clones of D.adelae in the coldhouse growing like
weeds. I first tried them in Sphagnum - they loved it, then in pure
peat -they love just as well, growing new plants from the numerous
roots that fill up the pots and from leaves that happen to hang in
the water in which they stand _periodically_ up to the rim.
They do in summer (up to 45 ) much better than in winter, but as
experienced this winter they survive -4 for two weeks (frozen
surface) by coming back from the roots. When backed in the sun in
summer they are rather small, very red and profusely flowering. But
they can cope with shady conditions just as well.
To be on the save side growing these plants indoors give them a
bright location, open soil and humid environment (avoid stagnant
conditions).

Good growing

Eric