Re: Drosera adelae

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 07:45:00 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 97 09:45:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera adelae

>From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
>5. Avoid setting the pots in water. D. adalae does not like soppy
>conditions.

>Response from Nick Plummer

>Don't let my Drosera adelae hear that. I've got a pot full that grows
>sitting in 1 cm of water in an aquarium. The medium is 1:1 peat:perlite
and it's
>pretty darn soggy. Roots grow out of the drainage holes and snake for long

>distances in the water. Plantlets sprout from the submerged roots and grow
>up above the water surface. Roots also climb over the edge of the pot and
>dangle down, sprouting plantlets in mid-air. It's kind of untidy, but it
seems
>happy. Maybe this is another one of those situations where different
clones of a
>species prefer different conditions. Or perhaps our growing conditions
>differ in some other critical way that we haven't considered.

Hi Nick,

Had to laugh at your response. This just goes to show that (1) if it's 2
cm, your plants will die, or (2) it's the perlite, or (3) you really aren't
growing D. adalae, or (4) you can't always believe government scientists.

Or (5), you're right.

I'm glad it works. Can I have one of your clones. Actually, I have them
coming out the wa-zoo and will soon offer extras to list members. Maybe we
can coordinate this release.

David