VFT declining

From: Michael Reardon (m-reardon@adfa.oz.au)
Date: Tue Apr 22 1997 - 20:17:07 PDT

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:17:07 +1000
From: "Michael Reardon" <m-reardon@adfa.oz.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT declining

Hi everybody,

I am new to this group and have just gotten around to posting so
sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse. I have a number of questions
somebody may be able to answer.

I was bequeathed a vft from an ex flat mate which seemed to be almost
dead when I got it. It recovered and has been going strong for
years. It has grown from small to quite large in about 4 years and
managed to produce an ever increasing number of flowers. This year it
got up to about ten. I've even managed to get it to produce seeds.

Unfortunately, it seems to be having difficulties after the last
burst of flowering. It produces new growth but the traps seem to die
off without forming. Most of what I know has been learned only in
the past few weeks (from these archives) but it seems to me it could
be a number of things such as:

- going dormant for winter ( I'm in Canberra, Australia)
- exhausted from flowering
- toxin build-up - I've been giving it tap water for years
                        (only just found out about using distilled)
- it may need repotting as it has virtually filled the current pot

- or a combination of the above.

Any ideas or comments much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Reardon