Re:Aldrovanda cultivation and Tetra Blackwater Extract

From: Chris.Breckpot@olvz-aalst.be
Date: Thu Apr 24 1997 - 00:00:00 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:00:00 +0200
From: Chris.Breckpot@olvz-aalst.be
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Aldrovanda cultivation and Tetra Blackwater Extract

>Hello CP growers,
>I would like to greet you with a question. I am growing Aldrovanda in
water that has been steeped in
>milled peat moss. The plant is growing quite well, but I am wondering if
Tetra's Blackwater Extract
>might acidify the water just as well. I have heard rumors to this effect.
Since I change the plant's water
>every couple of weeks, due to algae growth, I'm wondering if a few drops
of Blackwater Extract might
>be a more efficient alternative to continuous peat infussions. My
question, then, is to inquire whether
>anyone has experimented with Blackwater Extract as a growing medium
additive for Aldrovanda?
>Blackwater Extract, according to the ingredients, contains vitamins, and
for this reason I am reluctant to >experiment with my plant.
>Has anyone tread this path before me? Has anyone other Aldrovanda growing
suggestions with respect to >medium?

>Thanks,
>Peter

Hi Peter,

In nature, Aldrovanda thrives in dystrophic waters characterized by
considerable levels of humic acids which result from the decomposition of
plant rests. Though I never tried it, I believe that Tetra's Blackwater
Extract might help to create the right water type for the Waterwheel Plant.
No idea if it appreciates the extra vitamins.
To keep the risk minimized, it is advisable to start with adding small
amounts of extract. Carefully watch how the plant responds.
In short the medium should be slightly acid, dystrophic and contain
microorganisms.
Hope this helps.

Christian Breckpot