Re: Re: perlite, vermiculite?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Apr 24 1997 - 15:39:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 24 Apr 97 18:39 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: perlite, vermiculite?

Hi Win,

> I stopped using vermiculite. My plants (Sarr, VFT, Nep, Darl, Dros) just
> don't grew well in it.

    Perhaps you were using too much? I use a small amount of the
very fine grade in the soil for Sarracenia seedlings (it's causes
them to grow very quick), pygmea Drosera and annual Drosera species
and Nepenthes. I have found that it really doesn't agree with VFT,
Darlingtonia, most other Drosera. It is a must for many Pinguicula
(Mexican, esp.)!

> Perlite on the other hand is excellent for making a light and well
> drained soil mixture. It can however not replace coarse sand. Peat tends
> to compact after a while, sand prevents this from happening, the added
> perlite improves the structure and the drainage capacity.

   For plants with very fine roots, like Nepenthes, I add diatomaous
(sp?) earth to the soil (about a 1/4 of the total volume). It acts
just like perlite (it *is* the exact same chemical solid, BTW), but
the pieces are nearly mircoscopic. On that note: Do not breath in the
dust from it! Same goes for peatmoss or any other soil componet. <---=
Anyway, just wet it down before mixing and don't dry out the soil after
that, you'll kill the plant and possibly let dust into the air. It
works much better than perlite since the individaul pieces mix right
between the fibers in the peat moss, fluffing it up and makes it water
retaining yet very well drained =--> but without vermiculite! Makes
great soil for seedlings of most genus, also.

> Before using perlite you can soak it for a while in water, otherwise it
> will float when you place the pots in water. I keep a barrel constanly
> filled with perlite and water, so whenever it's needed, it's already
> soaked.

    This is a good idea. You can wet perlite or diatoms while they
are still in the bag, to cause the dust to stick on the larger pieces.
It doesn't go bad, even wet/damp for weeks at a time (there's nothing
to rot!).

Dave Evans