Sarracenia, Drosera, Utricularia

From: Dave Littlehale (littled@cris.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 1997 - 16:25:17 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 19:25:17 -0400
From: Dave Littlehale <littled@cris.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia, Drosera, Utricularia

I have been lurking here for some time now trying to gather as much
information as I can. I have a rather unique situation, and I'm hoping
that the collective experience of the list can help me.

I am an aquarist at the New Jersey State Aquarium. I have an exhibit
that deals with the Pinelands of New Jersey (Pine Barrens). I would
like to be able to exhibit the mentioned species of CP, but I have
almost no experience with CP's.

Last year, I collected 4 Sarracenia, 12 Drosera rotundifolia, and 2
Utricularia inflata. The U. inflata was blossoming so I put it in
exhibit when I got back. The blossom lasted about 5 days and the plant
itself lasted about 10 days. I potted the Sarracenia and rotated those
through the exhibit after about 2 weeks. I was keeping these on the
roof of the Aquarium, but they are now in an outside exhibit. They were
left outside to winter over naturely (only 1 died). The Drosera were
planted directly in the exhibit and quickly withered away in less than 1
week.

The exhibit is split level. It's about 8' tall and 6' across the front
with a curved back that is about 5' from the acrylic at it's farthest
point. The water (pH 6.5, Temp 72, Hardness < 50ppm) is about 18" deep
and there is a small terrace that is 6" deep. There is plenty of soil
for plants. I hve 1 400W Metal Halide that lights the exhibit. I will
soon be adding another 400W MH. The light is about 4' from the plants.

All of this leads me to some questions.
1) Can the Drosera be bare root planted in the exhibit? There are a few
places that I can "tuck" these in so it would almost look fairly natural
(accurate to their habitat). I would really like to be abble to do
this. If not, any ideas as to how I can pot these and have them in the
exhibit without the pot showing?
2) Any suggestions on keeping the Utricularia? It is possible to rotate
these through the exhibit, but I'm not sure about how to keep them off
exhibit.
3) I need general info on the Sarracenia? How much light? Supplement
feeding? Repotting? How much water, keep feet wet or let dry out?
Obviously since I've collected them I know what their habitat was like,
but I'm not sure how they handle and respond in this situation? One was
producing a bud, but that broke off while it was being moved. From
reading some recent posts, I guess that isn't all together a bad thing.
Some of the pitchers are dying back and I guess the majority seem to be
in favor of leaving them on the plant until completely brown. That
correct?

Feel free to include any details you feel are relevant but I forgot to
ask. I'm so green I don't even know all the questions to ask. If I
have left out some details you need, please ask.

I'm not sure if this topic is relevant enough for the entire list to
post the reponses here or not. EMail privately if you feel that would
be more appropriate.

Obviously, thanks for all the information you share so freely.

Sincerely,

Dave