Heliamphora/B. reducta

From: Gary (garko@sfsu.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 26 1997 - 15:48:03 PDT

Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 15:48:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gary <garko@sfsu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Heliamphora/B. reducta

Hi everyone--

Does anyone remember seeing a PBS documentary a few years ago about a
group of parachutists jumping over Auyan Tepui? I seem to remember a
series title like Wild Adventure, but I could be wrong. I've been trying
to locate a copy through our library at school, but am not sure about the
title. Anyway, it's quite harrowing--one of the jumpers sustains a
compound fracture from his landing and must be airlifted immediately.
This casts a pall over the remainder of the expedition. Anyway, there's
plenty of Heliamphora and/or Brocchinia growing on the plateau. (I think
there might be a passing reference to "pitcher plants," but not much else
is said about them.) They appear in almost every single shot (they're
literally everywhere) as the chutists drag their chutes over them, ripping
them out and trampling them--also quite harrowing to watch. Anyway, it's
quite fascinating for those of us who will never be able to see these
plants in their primeval, inhospitable habitat.

Gary