Bad water (nitrites?)

From: Steve Tatman (xas69@dial.pipex.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 1997 - 07:53:40 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 07:53:40 -0700
From: Steve Tatman <xas69@dial.pipex.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Bad water (nitrites?)

Hi All,

A quick question. The water butt (barrel - I dont know if the word is
used in America ;-) that I use to collect rain water has been nearly
empty due to our spring drought. At last it has rained and it is full
again. However I tested it with our pond tester kit and it came out:
pH=6 ...OK
Nitrites=2mg/L ... well into the danger zone for fish.

Is this too high for CPs. I have just drained them all and used my entire
tissue culture supply of deionised water but that is expensive.

Anyone know what levels can be tolerated?

Cheers

Steve