Re: VFT

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 28 1997 - 13:19:57 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 21:19:57 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT

On 26 Apr 97 at 18:42, Deborah K. Gibbs-Halm wrote:

> I would like to know how do you take care of a VFT when it's about to make
> seeds? I would also like to know how can you get your VFT to make seeds
> inside of your home?

You don't need to do anything special. Most healthy VFTs will put up
flower spikes during the Summer. Some people cut them off, in the
belief that this leads to stronger leaf growth, but I certainly don't
bother. If it wants to flower, that that's what it does. You might
try to pollinate the flowers - use a small brush or the like to
attempt to transfer the pollen onto the stigmas. Probably
transferring pollen from another plant of different origin might
produce more seed, but I think that one plant will do. Then just
leave the flowers to die - if you get a good set of seed, then you
might get to see a small round black seedpod which will eventually
split to reveal small shiny pear shaped black seeds. If you don't get
so many seeds, then you might just have to hunt for them among the
dead flower debris.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Frogspawn, etc.