APPLE SNAILS !!!

From: Tan Chee Kien (cheekien@pacific.net.sg)
Date: Wed Apr 30 1997 - 04:55:28 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 19:55:28 +0800
From: Tan Chee Kien <cheekien@pacific.net.sg>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: APPLE SNAILS !!!

>Be very careful of water snails and carnivorous aquatics. Most water snails
>will eat anything in sight. Ramshorn snails are sometimes recommended
>for ponds and they will eat some sorts of algae in preference to healthy
>plants, but that won't stop them grazing the carnivorous plants at the same
>time. I have a large tub of U gibba; initially the snails did a reasonable job
>of algae control (and the utric devoured lots of baby snails) but now they are
>totally out of control and have stripped the utric of everything but the stems.
>
>Some aquatic shops sell apple snails for control of algae in tropical aquaria;
>has anybody tried them?
>
>NigelH

        I too, had a terrible experience of CPs being eaten - by Apple Snails!
I believe these are Pomacea sp., and there are 2 frms - balckish and golden.
I'm keeping 9 golden ones as pets and they have given me thousand ++ babes
since I got them this year, but then they have a huge appetite !!!

        I won't recommend anyone trying them out in an aquarium with CPS.
Has anyone tried Daphnia ? They are supposed to clean off algae and will
also serve as a tasty morsel for the CPs ?
Just an idea, have a great day CPing !