Outdoor Neps Catching Bugs

From: Lance Jerale (ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us)
Date: Fri May 02 1997 - 00:57:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 07:57:52 +0000
From: Lance Jerale <ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Outdoor Neps Catching Bugs

Hi Laurent!

Here in Eastern Wisconsin, on the shore of Lake Michigan, I can't put my
Neps outside till mid June-- and even then most nights are cool for the
lowlanders. I hang them in my fruit trees where they enjoy the "dappled"
sunlight. Every morning I inspect the pitchers for the night's catch, and
only rarely am I disappointed. Most often-- almost every night-- there
are moths struggling on the surface of the pitcher water. A very wide
variety of flies, beetles, wasps, centipedes, etc., etc. all meet their
doom regularly in my Nepenthes pitchers. Most prey has been caught at
night-- I'll let others tell us why.
I am amazed by the volume of bugs that these plants can catch and digest,
and more amazed by how COMPLETELY the bug bodies are disposed of by
these wonderful plants.
Laurent, were your plants out at NIGHT? Is it warm enough yet?? My
Neps are my best performers, and I'll bet yours are going to be too. I'll be
interested to know what happens as spring matures into summer....

Good thoughts,

Lance

--
Lance Jerale																 414-775-9520 voice