Help with N. maxima

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Thu May 08 1997 - 11:06:32 PDT

Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 14:06:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Help with N. maxima

To all experienced Nepenthes growers,

I'm having a very hard time with my N. maxima. I
wonder if someone can offer some suggestions if
I describe the symptoms.

The plant used to be a foot tall with several
beautiful pitchers on it. Then, one by one,
the leaves started showing blotchy yellow patches
right in the middle--not close to the stem
attachment and not close to the pitcher tendril.
The yellow would spread until the whole leaf
was this color, then the leaf would turn brown and
dry up.

At first I thought this was happening only to old
leaves, since the growth tip kept producing green
leaves. Soon, though the new leaves started the
same yellowing pattern right after unfolding.
The plant did start another basal growth from
the crown, and by this time the 1 foot stem was
showing no life so I cut it.

I also removed the plant from the pot and inspected
the roots. There weren't many! But no signs of
worms/bugs were evident, and the potting medium
didn't smell anaerobic nor did it look slimy and
rotten.

I repotted in new medium (50% sphagnum 50% perlite by
volume) and the new basal growth put out a few more
nice leaves, one with a small pitcher. I thought
things were on the mend until the past week when
the yellowing has began again. I've been struggling
with this plant for two years.

Anyone seen this before?

Regards,

Perry Malouf