Cultivation help

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Fri May 09 1997 - 18:28:53 PDT

Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 21:28:53 -0400
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cultivation help

Hello again!
Two items. I got lucky yesterday while visiting the local garden supply
place (Gale's of Cleveland,Ohio). I found an assortment of those "little
shop of horrors" CP's freshly shipped from a supplier in Florida. They
were all tissue cultured and featured D. Muscipula(typical), D.Adelae,
and N. Madagascariensis. I picked up four of the neps since they all
looked healthy and had small lower pitchers on each leaf. I have since
repotted each into 5 inch plastic pots with fibrous peat and a top
dressing of live sphagnum. They now reside in one of my 20 gallon
aquarium tanks under lights and are standing in 2cm of distilled water.
According to Marcel Lecoufle's CP book this species is considered a low
altitude grower and cultivation is "difficult to transplant and to
raise". Since I have never grown neps before I was wondering if anyone
might have a few words of advice to help me with keeping the N.
Madagascariensis alive and thriving. I would really appreciate it!
The second item concerns proper cultivation of D. Californica. I just
recieved two 12" prize specimans of this species and will try once again
to successfully raise them(past years have yielded NO luck due to the
need for a cool root system). I have planted both in 12" clay pots using
pure long-fibered sphagnum with a live layer at the top. They sit in
trays filled with 3" of rain water. I have both pots sitting near the
north side of my house out of direct sunlight in a shaded location next
to a bush. What else can I do to ensure cool soil conditions in the warm
summer months ahead?!!
Thanks and happy CP'ing!
Mark Pogany
markp@crscms.com