Water

From: James Tovee (106361.2125@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun May 11 1997 - 06:15:10 PDT

Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 09:15:10 -0400
From: James Tovee <106361.2125@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Water

        I agree that tap water is unlikely to be suitable for CPs. It can
either be too hard with calcium or when acid be contaminated with metalic
salts. The water companies also add aluminium sulphate to the water to keep
the water looking clear.
         I have used rain water only, but I have been concerned that pond
snails (limnea pereger) are able to grow and breed in this water. Spagnum
moss grows well in the pots. The water is supplied to the plants in a
recycling system, pumping the water up to a top tray and passing to a lower
one and then returning to the storage tank.
        Most of the water is collected from the roof of the house and the
tiles are made of concrete. The house is 30 years old and if any apreciable
amount of hardness was coming from them. Wouldn't they be breaking down ?

        Jim Tovee