I'm Back!!!

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 01:51:30 PDT

Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 17:51:30 +0900 (JST)
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: I'm Back!!!

To all,

        I'm finally back on the listserve!! After travelling around the US and Brazil for 2 months, I returned to Japan in late March, but have been without e-mail since (never thought I could survive being without e-mail for over 3 months and live to tell about it!!!). I won't even go into the details of my e-mail problems these past few weeks, I'm just glad it's all nearly over and that I'm back on the list!
        Before anything else, please notice that my e-mail has changed (they were kind enough to change it for me without warning while I was back home in Brazil climbing some isolated mountain).
        In second place I'd like to ask all my friends out there to PLEASE mail me their e-mail addresses (my address list, as well as everything else I had in my old account, was kindly saved to some mysterious file hidden in the catacombs of the University of Tokyo and we're still digging our way in the attempt to find them).
        So today I finally resubscribed to the listserve and took the opportunity to read back on 3 months worth of CP Digests (thanks to Peter Cole's archive on the web). I was flattered to see someone not only know when my B-Day is but also how old I am now (sorry, but I'm the time who never knows anybody's B-days and can hardly remember my own!). Thanks Bruce (and send me your address soon!).
         I also can't get out of my mind Dave Evan's new hybrids on April 1st, as well as Juerg Steiger's additionI don't know which was better, these hybrids, or last year's new species of Pings described by Jurg (you always seem to be messed up in these things, don't you Jurg? - for example the herbs for your kitchen!!). Anyways, hats off to both. You caused me to make a fool of myself by laughing out loud and hysterically in a room full of quiet, self-controlled japanese students at my university.
        As for my trip, as some may remember I initially stopped by the USA, where I spent a few fantastic days with CPers in L.A. (Ed, send me your address too please!!) and the a few days in Chicago with my brother. More details about this soon.
        In Brazil I spent a total of around 3 weeks in the field, and the other 3 weeks at home in Sao Paulo (recovering from the 2 trips to the field!). I went to several new areas I had never visited, but also visited places I had already been to before but had not explored enough (they never seem to be well-explored!!), travelling a total of around 7000km by car.
        Details about this trip I will also give later on. But I can't resist to tell one thing now. To Thomas Carow (Hi Thomas, send me your address too please!), I'd like to say that I finally did find that damn D.sp."Golden Leaf" you found and photographed 10 years ago! Guess what it is?!?! Surprisingly, it's what was named _D.montana_ St.Hil. var._schwackei_ Diels, though I'm darned if I know why anyone in his right mind would find any similarity between this plant and D.montana! Anyways, I tell more about it later, as I said.
        Sorry, I have to run!

                        Glad to be back!

                        Fernando Rivadavia
                        Tokyo, Japan