Appropriate Verbage

From: Ken Cusson (ken@mail3.casadyg.com)
Date: Tue May 20 1997 - 04:30:58 PDT

Date: Tue, 20 May 97 11:30:58 -0000
From: Ken Cusson <ken@mail3.casadyg.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Appropriate Verbage

Fellow CPers,

I am very disturbed by the recent use of this Discussion Forum as a =
"Free Speech" soapbox. I strongly support the concept of free speech =
and feel censorship is never the best answer. However, I think it =
needs to be pointed out, once again, that this forum was never =
designed to be a soapbox for any subject desired. It was, and is, a =
forum designed to help disseminate information concerning Carnivorous =
Plants and promote discussion among CP enthusiasts about subjects =
that pertain to these plants -- period.

Keeping this in mind, the use of language that is offensive to many =
who subscribe to this list, and can only be described as inflammatory =
at best, has no place in this discussion. It serves absolutely no =
purpose that is in line with the purpose of this Discussion Forum -- =
either in the scientific community or in the realm of the hobbyist.

Use of this type of language (and you do not need to be a =
professional linguist to know what I am talking about!) does nothing =
but destroy the dignity and respect that this Forum has earned among =
the Professional/academic/scientific communities.

There are many, many other forums where this type of discussion can =
be carried out without offense. If you feel you must use this type of =
language, please do so on one of these other forums. You, and your =
speech patterns, are not being condemned -- it is simply out of place =
in this forum. Continued usage of this type of language can only =
bring offense to others and being shunned by the other members of =
this forum.

Ken Cusson, Secretary/Treasurer
INT. CARNIVOROUS PLANT SOCIETY
339 E. Romie Lane