Re: What to do with plants?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue May 20 1997 - 13:10:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 20 May 97 16:10 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: What to do with plants?

> From: "D. Pederson" <dlpeder@HOTMAIL.COM>
>
> I just bought a sundew, butterwort and pitcher plant in those little round pots
> with the plastic covers. I don't know if I should replant these into my
> terrarium and cover them or what?
> How long could they thrive in the small containers?

Hi Dianna,

   The sundew and butterwort could probably stay in there for a bit,
just don't put them in direct sun =--> The plants will fry :(
The pitcher plant (what kind?) will need more room.

  I would try to find out what species the plants are, they tend
to have many different needs, depending on where they are from.
For example, those round pots tend to have 2 different types of
Sundew, Drosera adelae or one of the temperate hardy (meaning they
can live through freezing winter, most Drosera can not) species.
D. adelae likes dimmer light than the other kind of Drosera, and if
you gave D.adelea full sun it would burn up. On the other hand,
D.intermedia would become eliolated (streched and weak) in lighting
that is strong for D.adelae. On the WWW, there a bunch of web-pages
showing different CP's, the Carnivorous Plant wed-page has many,
many photos of Drosera (and most everything else) and you might
find your's there.

Dave Evans