Re: Nep. maxima

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu May 29 1997 - 14:16:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 29 May 97 17:16 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep. maxima

> From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@UMICH.EDU>
>
> The books that I've checked all say that Nepenthes maxima is a highland
> species, but I'm wondering if it is one of the hard-core highlanders
> that won't tolerate warm temperatures, or an easier species like N.
> ventricosa. A local nursery is offering some beautiful plants of
> Nepenthes maxima superba, and I was curious to know if it would be happy
> in an indoor terrarium that doesn't really drop below 60 F in winter and
> rarely below 70 F in summer.

Hi Nick,

    60~F. is too cool for daytimes temps for any Nepenthes! 65-75~F.
is good for nights for almost all highland Nepenthes, but they could
take up to 80 (N.rajah)-85ish (N.ventricosa, N.maxima) for day-time
highs. The lowlanders can also live in these conditions (80-95~F.
for the days), but would like their nights 5-10~F. warmer than the
highlanders.
    Highlanders can often handle much colder nights even down into
the 40's, but only at night. Lowlanders would become shocked and
die after being exposed to nights like these. The temperture ranges
for these plants mostly overlap so you can grow most highlanders
with lowlanders, but if you frost your Nepenthes all the lowlanders
will be history (or very messed-up) and if you fry the greenhouse all
the highlanders will be crisped. :( N.maxima is a weed, moreso than
N.ventricosa. :)

Hope this helps,
Dave Evans