Utric Turion Dormancy and pH

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 02 1997 - 04:11:19 PDT

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 10:11:19 +-100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Utric Turion Dormancy and pH

Last spring (1996) I was very disappointed that a lot of my utric turions,
particularly U minor, didn't burst into life. I didn't bother to throw them
out but kept topping them up with rainwater. This spring (1997) - still no
life. About a fortnight ago I needed the space so I filtered out the turions
and put them in much smaller containers. I also chucked in some hard,
lumpy bits left after sieving some moss peat. The lumps absorbed water
and sank and the water developed a yellowish hue. Suddenly the utric
turions, having been dormant for at least 19 months, have burst into
growth. The lessons would appear to be that utric dormancy can be
affected by pH, and that some utrics need a lower pH than that provided
by acid rainwater from 'the dirty man of Europe'.

Good Growing, NigelH