Re: Pygmy Drosera from seeds

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 04:25:21 PDT

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:25:21 +-100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pygmy Drosera from seeds

Hi Fabrice,

Pygmy Drosera from seed is a bit of a nightmare - I have never had decent
germination rates, even from my own, fresh seed. Gibberellic Acid seems
to help but I haven't found any improvement using smoke chemicals. My
current testing involves subjecting the seeds to protracted baking and that
also seems to help although the results are still inconclusive. Easiest from
seed in my experience are the smaller species, eg occidentalis and pygmaea.
Growing them from gemmae is a lot faster and easier.

Pygmies mature rapidly from seed - plants grown from seed germinated in
autumn have flowered and set seed the following spring/summer, although
maximum rosette size does seem to take a couple of growing seasons.

My biggest problem with pygmies is inadequate light levels - that should be
no problem to you in Madrid. However they also appreciate high humidity
when in growth and that could be difficult for you without a terrarium, even
standing the pots permanently in rainwater.

Regards, NigelH