Re: Bogs

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 04 1997 - 14:37:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 04 Jun 97 17:37 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bogs

> From: Brian Cooley <cooley@GOLDEN.ADAMS.NET>
>
> Interesting idea. I am kind of interested in this. I live in central
> Illinois. Would I be able to start a bog and have anything survive the
> winters? Are there special precautions that I would need to take for
> the cold. Temp. can drop below 20 below and usually does once or twice
> in the year.

Well, considering that _Sarracenia purpurea purpurea_ is native to your
area, at least one type of pitcher plant will do just great. :) This
indicates that most other species of Sarracenia will also do fine, and
S.flava, S.oreophila and the S.rubra(s) are ideal. The other species
should survive and flower, but may get extra beat up during winter (all
that means is you'll more browned leaves to cut away next spring). All
winter-bud forming Drosera and Pinguicula will also handle your winters.
It may be, some Ping's will not like the length of the seasons, but
that's a different problem.

   As for extra protection, a wooden frame like a cold frame would
be good, or some other sort of protection from drying wind maybe needed.
The cold will not kill them, but they have to stay wet enough not to
freeze dry. Keeping the water level (when full) at the soil level
is usually enough protection, but if you have dry winters or lots of
wind then you might need to think about cold frames and such.

Dave Evans