slow growth of Drosera during flowering

From: m harrison (m.harrison@hzg.sc.philips.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 09:24:55 PDT

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 17:24:55 +0100
From: m.harrison@hzg.sc.philips.com (m harrison)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: slow growth of Drosera during flowering

Ide wrote,

>My D. rotundifolia has sent his flower stalks a few weeks ago, and
>the flowers are finished. Meanwhile it didn't produce any leaf. Is it
>normal behaviour ? Now some small leaves are appearing.

        I have seen something similar with D.Aliciea, D.Slackii and my
D.Pulchella. New leaves stop growing and the existing ones look a lot
less dewy. Growth seems to resume as the flowers mature. I thought
this may be due to strong sunlight but I have noticed young plants
that don't flower don't loose their vigour ! ?
        Another problem perhaps someone can enlighten me on. I've been
waiting several years to see my D.Hamiltonii flower. In previous years
I've managed to break the flower stem accidentally. This year no
accidents but the flowers seem to have stopped growing just short of
unfurling. They have remained curled up atop the stalk for several
weeks now !! I guess this isn't normal either ?

        Cheers, Mark H., Lancashire, UK.