Re: Nepenthes confusion

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Sat Jun 07 1997 - 20:05:59 PDT

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 23:05:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes confusion

Ken Cusson wrote:

> I have a N. x. "Il de France"...It is about 20" tall with a
> few 4-5" pitchers. But the leaves have remained somewhat
> yellowish. Any ideas as to why? It is still forming
> pitchers and has even flowered at the top.

Yellowish leaves can be caused by many things: too much
light, trace element deficiencies, normal leaf death,
fungus, to name just a few. Besides yellowish leaves,
some of these problems evidence other symptoms and that's how
you can tell them apart.

Is your plant getting a tremendous amount of light? If so
then try reducing the light and observe what happens.

You might also try giving peat tea to your plant. Rob
Sacilotto of Botanique had lots of otherwise healthy Nepenthes with
yellow-green leaves. The peat tea greened them up in
short order.

> Does anyone know if "Ile de France" is a highland or a lowland Nepenthes?

According to the book by Cheers, N. x 'Ile de France' is the
following hybrid:

        (mirabilis x thorelii) x (northiana x maxima)

Looks as though it's a hodgepodge of highland and lowland parents.

I've found hybrid Nepenthes, especially this one, to grow nicely
under a broad compromise of growing conditions. It's not nearly
as fussy as N. villosa, N. edwardsiana, N. rajah... oh, there I
go again..... :-)

Regards,

Perry Malouf