Re: Oxygen in Soil

From: Joe Cumbee (acumbee@surfsouth.com)
Date: Fri Jun 13 1997 - 13:42:10 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 16:42:10 -0400
From: Joe Cumbee <acumbee@surfsouth.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Oxygen in Soil

> Carlstrom_Rick@amelnx.advmar.com wrote:
> A little while back people posted some info on Sarracenia's lack of
tolerance
> for anoxic soil (lack of oxygen in soil). My question is, has
> anyone tried using one of the aquarium bubblers in there water
trays? It seems
> that one of these would keep the water "fresh" by replenishing the
oxygen
> dissolved in the water. It would be nice to see an experiment
comparing a plant
> with the bubbler and one without.

 Rick and CPers
 I grow Sarracenias hydroponically using floater trays. I run an
 aquarium bubbler in the winter time when I bring them into the green
 house to place them a 12 foot by 12 foot plastic lined wooden frame. I
 do so for the following reasons: to provide oxygen and CO2 to the
water,
 to keep the water from becoming stagnated, to keep the fungicides
 circulating, and help keep the temperature of the water from the top to
 the bottom at more even temperatures. The bubbling action helps
dissipate the sun heated water. I run the bubbler only at night this
seems to help heat the greenhouse a little. In the spring through fall
I have them outside in pools or in the pond, so I do not worry about the
oxygen and CO2 levels as we get quite a bit of rain. I will try a
container with and without the bubbler this winter and let you know.
Joe Cumbee