Re: Oxygen in Soil

From: Joe Cumbee (acumbee@surfsouth.com)
Date: Fri Jun 13 1997 - 16:13:44 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:13:44 -0400
From: Joe Cumbee <acumbee@surfsouth.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Oxygen in Soil

John H. Phillips III wrote:

> Hi Joe, can I ask what sort of "soil" media you're growing these in when you
> say you're growing them hydroponically?
> Thanx in advance,
> John H. Phillips III e-mail:phillips@library.ucsf.edu
> Interlibrary Loan Rm 202
> Health Sciences Library
> University of California
> 530 Parnassus Ave
> San Francisco, CA 94143-0840

Dear Mr. Phillips,
  I use a high porosity soil mix that goes by the brand name of
"BACTO." It is a mix that farmers in our area use to grow tobacco and
vegetable plants hydroponically. To this mix I add 3/4 to one cup of
perilite per gallon milk jug full (dry measure) of Bacto. The mix seems
to work just as well without the perilite though.
Joe Cumbee