N. albomarginata X N. maxima

From: Michael Zenner (mvz@agora.rdrop.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 1997 - 15:37:21 PDT

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:37:21 -0700
From: Michael Zenner <mvz@agora.rdrop.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. albomarginata X N. maxima

Hello all!

        I've recently become a little confused about a Nepenthes in my
collection. Initially, the person I got it from said it was N. spectabilis,
but as soon as it produced pitchers, I realized it couldn't in fact be such.
After finding the original supplier after being out of touch for a couple of
years, he said it was misidentified when he got it, and that it was in fact
a hybrid of N. albomarginata and N. maxima. He said this was called "X
curtisii". Just because I'm obsessive by nature, I checked Schlauer's
on-line nomenclatural synopsis, and found this hybrid listed as "N. X
albomax". I was unable to find a name for this hybrid either in Adrian
Slack's book, or Gordon Cheers' 1992 book.

        Does anyone know if there is in fact a "x curtisii"? If not, is "X
albomax" the normally accepted name for this particular hybrid?

        It's really quite a lovely plant, and I'm happy to have it in my
collection, I'm just curious about the background story.

        Thanks much!

Michael Zenner mvz@agora.rdrop.com
CP-AMSEL-IA, CFI-A "Here a fool found salvation"
www.rdrop.com/users/mvz/