Re: Re: n. alata roots

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Jun 16 1997 - 20:11:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 16 Jun 97 23:11 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: n. alata roots

Hi Adwait,

> When I got the n. alata, it have 3-4 little tendrils with bulges
> (immature pitchers). They are all green and look healthy. Are these
> remanents of the parent plant or are they "new growth". Should I cut
> them off?

I would not cut off anything unless it's dead, diseased, or the leaf
has been so beat up that it just looks awful and cutting it off will
cause no harm. New growth comes from the tip of the stem, where the
new leaves grow from. Some plants have lots of stems, but Nepenthes
start off with just one.

> Dave or was it Perry???, you mentioned that the plants usually
> grow very slowly until they have a good set of roots. Well, how
> long will that take?

Depends, sound like yours had already grown some roots, now they
just have to grow. :)

Dave E