VFT colors under lights...

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 1997 - 20:14:59 PDT

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:14:59 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT colors under lights...

    With all of the recent talk of VFT redness and the actual causes, I
thought I'd chip in my observations. My plants are under fluorescent
lights (two 17 watt bulbs) placed approximately 21" above the traps.
They receive late afternoon sun through venetian-type blinds (which I
consider somewhat filtered light- to keep from cooking my plants in the
Klima-gro). The initial traps were yellow green inside, but each
successive trap is more and more pink inside. The traps are about an
inch long on 4+" long narrow petioles. The medium they are growing in
is a mix of acidic (orange) sand and peat moss. I recently contacted
Klima-gro about what kind of lights these are and they said they use
"Special Phosphor" lights from GE. They are also experimenting with
some new bulbs which they claim yield even better results... the really
good news is that they said if these become standard, I'll receive them
for free under warranty! Pretty cool, huh?
    Another interesting thing- my drosera adelae cluster is sending out
plantlets from roots. I know this has been observed before, but it's
kind of neat since the new plantlet isn't emerging from the established
"apron" but is actually about 3" from it. (Crazy plants are changing my
layout. There are other babies under the apron, and one other on the
opposite side- away from the apron, too. What this plant lacks in seed
production (although, I can't confirm that seeds aren't in the flowers
as none of these from two months ago have gone black yet!) it definitely
makes up for in leaf and root plantlets!

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul V. McCullough