Self sterile plants

From: Coutadeur Fabrice (coutadeur.f@gardener.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 1997 - 15:56:21 PDT

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 00:56:21 +0200
From: Coutadeur Fabrice <coutadeur.f@gardener.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Self sterile plants

Hi !

At 14:11 20/06/97 -0700, you wrote:
> If a plants is self-sterile it cannot use it's own pollen to
>make seed =--> This means no pollen from it will work, even if
>someone were to send some pollen from the same clone from the other
>side of the world.

Then the self sterility is always genetic ? ( I wasn't sure of this point
... )
And then, why can you 'force' the germination of the pollen, mixing the
plant pollen with another one ?

> However, some plants are even more picky than this and will not
>use pollen of close relatives (say, from the same parent). This

And what would be be the genetic reason ?

>seems to be true of the Petiolaris plant sp. from Beverly Springs
>(erect). I have tried many times to use different clones from the
>same batch of seeds, but none of the flowers has set seed.

But you can hybrid it, no ?

> On the other hand, there are plants which are self-fertile but
>not self-pollinating, such as VFT and the Sarracenieae (sp?) family.
>For these, you have to help the plants out with a small brush or
>something else that fits.

And do you have an idea of wich cp are self-sterile ? Is there a familly or
a gender where all the plants are self-sterile ?

Regards,

        Fabrice

Coutadeur Fabrice
C/Montesa, 14, 4F