Re: Orange sand...

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Wed Jun 25 1997 - 06:37:43 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 09:37:43 -0400
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Orange sand...

  The sand I chose was labeled as slightly acidic sand
for gardening (perfect...) and the overall color is a yellow orange.
    Stay away from lime sand (Usually pure white)... usually used in a
child's sand box. Lime sand isn't good for CP.
 Usually if you read the ingredients on the side or back of the sand bag it will
tell you the make up of the sand.
    When using a silicate sand for planting material, invest in a
breathing mask- like the kind used when sanding wood or plaster boards,
etc. Inhalation of sand particles is extremely risky and can lead to
grave illnesses. The masks are usually a few dollars for packs of four
or six. You'll look silly, but you won't die from wearing the
protective gear. Good idea. I pure the silica sand in a large container. I
always ware a mask when doing this and after I pour the sand in a large 5 gallon
bucket, I wet the sand down and keep it moist. This keeps down and dust that may
float around when I start mixing up a new batch of soil.
                               Charles Brewer