Questions from new Nep grower

From: Dana Scholle (dana@homecom.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 08:20:21 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:20:21 -0400
From: Dana Scholle <dana@homecom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Questions from new Nep grower

Hi there. I'm new to the CP group and have a few nep questions for the
experts. I got my first Nep a few weeks ago, an alata which has been
hanging in my kitchen window since I bought it. (My kitchen is all south
facing windows fromhip-high on up to the 12' ceilings and is definitely
warm and humid!) Anyway, I fed the plant a couple weeks ago, with pet-store
bought crickets, and just in the last week I've noticed the pitchers are
dying off. I am wondering why this is happening, and I am sure that several
things may be a factor? The first time I watered it was with regular tap
water (This was before I read up on the plants and their needs) but since
then have been using only distilled water. The plant gets a good deal of
sun, and also perhaps whatever normal kitchen fumes kitchens make. I have
been misting several times a day with said water and superthrive. I may
also have pssibly overfed the pitcher, but I also dumped out some of the
excess when I read not to overfeed. The plant itself looks great, and even
looks bigger and is certainly doing some growing; no wilting of other signs
of stress, and is showing no signs of sunburn or anything. I know it's got
some little red nubs on the ends of the leaves, and I am hoping it will
produce more pitchers soon. I am planning on adding more to my collection,
and would like to smooth out any wrinkles before they get here! Also, is it
normal for new nep leaves to spiral and curl as they grow? My alata seems
to be curling a bit on the new growth, and a madagascariensis I got last
week seems to be doing the same. Will these staighten out? The alata is
growing as a hanging plant and I am wanting the rest of the leaves to grow
in the sam manner as the lower leaves. Thanks!