San Francisco Bog

From: Sherry Bridygham (bridy@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 19:56:12 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 19:56:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: bridy@pacbell.net (Sherry Bridygham)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: San Francisco Bog

About a year ago I posted a request for information on "how to" build a
Bog. Well, I have successfully constructed my first Bog and thank all of
you who posted responses and sent me e-mail!!

The Bog specifics are as follows:

1. Faces due West (8 blocks from the Ocean in San Francisco).
2. Soil is mostly sand.
3. Lined Bog with 60 millimeter liner used for water gardens/pools.
4. 3 by 3 feet by 9 inches deep (Baby Bog).
5. Filled with 1/2 sphagumn peat (fine milled) <1/2 horticulture sand and
    perlite.
6. Topped with reconstituted long-fibered sphagumn moss (used for my cool
    growing orchids).
7. Average temperature range (Summer): 56 degrees to 74 degrees. Winds
    pick-up in afternoon to 20-30 miles/hours.

8. CP Plants (not planted yet) includes: S. flava, S. leuco,
    S. leucophylla, S. purpurea; D. natalensis; D. binata; D. sandersonii.
    Also thinking about some Pinguicula's but unclear which ones.
QUESTIONS:
1. My CP plants are sitting outside in a tray of water. Do I take the
CP's out of their plastic pots, not disturbing the root ball and insert
into the Bog OR
2. Transplant the CP's into pulp pots and sink the pulp pots into
the Bog. All the plants are in active growth.
3. What dampness level do I keep the Bog? Should the sphagumn be spongy
to the touch with visble water when pressed??
4. Since SF gets no rain for months, should I have my soaker hose over the
Bog (hose is on a timer 30 minutes twice a day for my garden)?

I went to all that work to make a Bog and now I am uneasy about putting any
of my plants into it! Thanks in advance for all your continued support and
input into this exciting project.

Sherry Bridygham
bridy@pacbell.com