Re: Wanted...

From: Tim Williams (Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp)
Date: Thu Jul 03 1997 - 09:51:23 PDT

Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 09:51:23 -0700
From: Tim Williams <Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Wanted...

Ronnie Spears wrote:

>Hello CP folk! I have been trying to locate a really hardy...

Hi Ronnie,

Here in Tokyo, Japan, come early summer and many local flower-shops and
garden centres start selling a nepenthes; a hybrid I'm sure, but it's
almost impossible to kill. I know, because I bought one about 4 years
ago (from a railway station florist) and it's seen everything, like
frost, heat (high 30's C), high humidity and low (down to 20% I'd
guess), all except the frost were for extended periods. In the winter it
just hangs by the window in our family room, as putting it in the
terrarium makes it grow too much!

The potting medium has dried out on occasions but without damage, the
plant just wilts a bit. I have taken many cuttings from it but it's
never flowered. It basically lives outside on the deck from May until
the frosts come in October or so. If I knew what it was I'd recommend it
as it grows like a weed and produces very attractive, large pitchers all
summer. It looks a bit like alata x khasiana but someone might have a
better idea!

Best regards,

Tim Williams.