RE: hardy Japanese nepenthes

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Jul 03 1997 - 06:49:01 PDT

Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 22:49:01 +0900
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: hardy Japanese nepenthes

Tim,

>Here in Tokyo, Japan, come early summer and many local flower-shops and
>garden centres start selling a nepenthes; a hybrid I'm sure, but it's
>almost impossible to kill...................

        I've seen this hybrid around here too and it's the same which is commonly sold in my hometown of Sao Paulo, Brazil. Supposedly, Japanese immigrants took it with them to Brazil. Anyways, I came to the same conclusions as you: it's hard to kill this plant. I used to grow it outdoors or in a greenhouse and it would do well year round, in shade or full sunlight. My guess is that its a mirabilis X khasiana, although mirabilis X alata also sounds very plausible. The strange thing is that I never saw it flower and have heard only one or two dubious reports of it doing so from other cultivators in Brazil.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan