Re: RE: San Francisco Bog

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Sun Jul 06 1997 - 12:01:00 PDT

Date:    Sun, 06 Jul 97 15:01 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: RE: San Francisco Bog

Hi David,

> sure that the top few inches (say, 3 to 6 inches but I'm guessing here),
> cannot become submerged in water for long periods (a week or two, but still
> guessing). Hence, my suggestion for putting a hole a few inches below the
> surface or building the mix up above the bog a few inches.

If you're using plastic, you can just make a drainage ditch at the
lowest edge and you can dig as low as you like. But when drier
weather comes along, the soil can be replaced and sparer rain will
be conserved. If it's a hole or a drainage "ditch", the water
keeps on flowing through the bogs and replaced by fresh water just
like in a real bog.

> plastic and to raising the bog a bit. I haven't lost any cp's in that area
> and maybe that's because their roots go down far enough from the surface so
> that the roots always have a water source.

Go with the raised soil, VFT and Ping like it the best. S.psittacina
likes it very wet, so put it in a lower area of the bog. Sarracenia
mostly seem to like being at places that are flooded when there is a
decent rain.

Dave Evans