Re: Re-introduction of CP into natural habitats...

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Sat Jul 12 1997 - 12:33:40 PDT

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 12:33:40 -0700
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re-introduction of CP into natural habitats...

Paul,

Paul V. McCullough wrote:

> Had an idea bouncing around my head recently (sometimes they get
> stuck on the point at top) and I thought I'd kick it out to the list for
> reaction. Perhaps this is done all of the time, and I'm just ignorant
> of the fact. Anyway, here goes...
>
> I have the potential for a landslide of drosera capillaris seeds
> coming from the tons of flowers on my d. capillaris cluster. Although
> I've never seen d. capillaris in NJ, I think they do come from the
> northeast (of the US for our international friends)- and the plants I
> have are extremely prolific and hardy... I think they would do fine in
> our state's bogs. I've been thinking of reserving some small portion of
> the seeds (of course) and scattering the remainder into areas where CP
> grow now. Am I suffering from "Johnny Appleseed Syndrome??? (Johnny
> CPseed? Seepyseed?)

 It is certainly *NOT* a good idea to introduce any plant to any
ecosystem outside of its natural range. I'm sure many Americans
have heard of the problems here in Australia caused about 200 years
ago when some homesick Europeans had the idea of introducing
countless animals/plants to make the place feel like their dear
old homelands!

 I guess an analogy could be the Koala pupulation problem on Kangaroo
Island in South Australia. They are currently destroying part of the
Islands ecosystem. Why?? Because although they are native to *mainland*
Australia, the are not native to this speck of land 6 km out to
sea. Some person must have thought it was a good idea to have these
cute furry marsupials on the island....Need I say more???

        -Russell

-