Re: Reintroduction of cp into natural habitats

From: dark@popmail.mcs.net
Date: Sun Jul 13 1997 - 00:04:55 PDT

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 07:04:55 +0000
From: dark@popmail.mcs.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Reintroduction of cp into natural habitats

> Some day I hope humans will believe that these places actually BELONG to the
> species residing there and not to the humans. And that humans DO NOT have
> any right to decide for those species who gets to live there.
> No flames necessary...I know this will never happen.......

Consider yourself flamed. I have spent several years trying to renew
a local prairie ecosystem and we use fire, herbicide, and brute force
to modify the ecosystem which over the years had become an ecosystem
largely consisting of Dogwood, Buckthorn, and Canadian Thistle. Just
remember that THERE ARE NO ECOSYSTEMS WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN
MODIFIED BY MAN. And if we have to attempt to renew an area to
resemble in some small way the original ecosystem I see no problems
since we are trying to modify what already has been modified. If my
little group wasn't there, the area would be a mess of invasive and
foreign plants with little room for the many prairie song birds (on
the decline throughout the US) who have taken up residence there.

The genie is already out of the bottle and can't be put back and
anyone who thinks that 'leaving the ecosystem alone' is ignorant of
the state of affairs of the world's ecosystems.

Doug Bosco