Re: Nomenclatural inquiries

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 14:01:08 PDT

Date:          Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:01:08
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Nomenclatural inquiries

Dear Laurent,

> Well, after following with great interest the recent discussion on the
> naming of CP clones, can anyone give me insight into the exact differences
> leading to the naming of a plant as a subspecies, a variety, a cultivar, a
> form or just a clone. I may have to apply this information very soon to
> name a butterwort naturally growing close to the city of Reims in France
> and which presents small taxonomic differences with P. vulgaris.

If you want to name a taxon (all of the ranks mentioned above except
cultivar), you have to apply the rules of the International Code of
Botanical Nomenclature (ICBN). I would suggest reading the whole
text thereof. If you have read the text and still think you have to
describe to name a form (there are 12 names at the rank of form
already, none of which of appreciable taxonomic significance) of _P.
vulgaris_ based on small taxonomic differences soon, right on: apply
the rules, write your protologue (and wait how long the name will
survive in the literature ;-)).

Kind regards
Jan