Re: Getting tired of this

From: Chris Frazier (cfrazie@unm.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 09:06:21 PDT

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:06:21 -0600
From: cfrazie@unm.edu (Chris Frazier)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Getting tired of this

I think we are all noticing the increase of these junk emails that are
really chain mail/pyramid schemes only loosely disguised. We should keep
in mind that the ease of email may make these more and more common if we do
not act to stop them. Please help to keep these parasites off the net.

I forwarded the last scam email I received to my state district attorney's
office. Here's what I found out.

First off, despite their assurrances to the contrary, these make money fast
and easy scams are definitely illegal. They violate Federal mail fraud and
lottery laws. The scams commonly say that an attorney or some other
authority has given them the O.K. This is a lie.

Second off, your chances of seeing any money are remote. If you were lucky
enough to get in on the *first* five levels of the scam you would still be
dependent on the participation of a third of a million people in order to
see your money. At level 13, more likely, 13 trillion people would have to
be involved in the scam for you to make money. Imagine the amount of email
junk that would be circulating if these scams went unchecked (i.e., they
worked).

What should you do? If you are in the U.S. forward a copy of the email to:
The Regional Chief Inspector, U.S. Postal Service, 850 Cherry Av., Fifth
floor, San Bruno, CA 94098-0100. There may be other regional offices, but
this is a start. I am sure their are also postal inspectors or other
enforcement agencies in other countries that will help keep our listserves
uncluttered by these scams.

Good luck to us all,

Chris

Chris Frazier