Sarracenia abuse / misuse

From: Danny Hammons (dannyh@onramp.net)
Date: Sun Jul 20 1997 - 16:26:56 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 18:26:56 -0500
From: Danny Hammons <dannyh@onramp.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia abuse / misuse

I know there has been some discussion about Sarracenia being used for
decorative purposes on here in the past......here's my own sad
encounter:

Recently, I had to go great a guest in the lobby of the company I work
for, on a floor that I rarely ever visit. To my horror, there were six
S. leucophylla pitchers in vases, three along each side of the wall.
One of my co-workers that was with me, who knew that I grow CP, asked if
these were CP. I responded yes. He proceeded to tell me that while he
was in college (a couple of years ago) in Big Sandy, Tx, he had
"weed-wacked" an entire field of these plants! (On the college
campus....he was mowing for the college.) They were s. Alata, the only
sarracenia that grows natively in Tx.
A couple of weeks later, he had plans on going to Big Sandy, so I asked
him to see if he could find the S. alata. He reported back that he
couldn't find any. Obviously, the boggy area he had once been
responsible for maintaining is no longer an attractive site for S.
alata.

I wish people weren't so uneducated about CP!

Danny