Re: Malathion

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 21 1997 - 13:38:15 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 21:38:15 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Malathion

On 20 Jul 97 at 10:44, Derek Glidden wrote:

> I live in Hillsborough County, which is one of the counties around
> West-Central Florida that the gov't, in it's infinite wisdom, has decided
> to devastate with county-wide Malathion spraying because of the discovery
> of a few Mediterranian Fruit Flies in a few groves...

I have my doubts that CP would be directly harmed by Malathion
(though this isn't based on direct experience - do others know
better?). In cases when I've damaged leaves of (non-CP) plants with
insecticide, it seems to be the solvent (the stuff used to make
the compound disolve in water) that is the problem. Even
'insecticidal soap' (which is a bit like having the solvent, but no
active ingredient) can damage leaves.

I've certainly sprayed Darlingtonia and Sarracenia with insecticide
to attempt to combat scale-insect on the pitchers - no damage seemed
to result.

So, if there isn't any other good cause, then perhaps the droplets
remaining on your plants could be causing damage, but I don't think
I'd be remotely worried about them catching insects with some
Malathion on them. These wouldn't result in droplets on the leaves.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Frogspawn, etc.