Re: Cephalotus )

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Wed Jul 23 1997 - 08:24:49 PDT

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:24:49 -0400
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cephalotus )

     Paul,
      John Hummer grows all kinds of CPs, Not just Cephs and he is quit an
     expert on bog flowers as well. I have seen his collection and I might
     add, quit an impressive collection. John has probably been to every
     bog there is on the East Coast of the US and several times over. John
     is a long time dedicated CPer. He also gives an outstanding
     presentation at CP meets
      Hummer grows the giant Ceph's because they are in demand. He has
     found the secret to cloning them and growing them to a very large size
     (Usually two inches traps or better). I would assume that he also has
     other clones as well, but by far the "Giant" is his best grower. John
     starts his plants from leaf cuttings, He also divides them up as well
     and has several aquariums going at one time. As for the size of the
     aquarium, I don't think it really matters. He uses the 10 gallon
     aquariums because they are easy to transport to shows. He sells his
     plants right out of the aquariums. You pick what clump you want and he
     digs it up for you.
      John places his aquariums on the east side of his house(I believe),
     close to several windows and uses over head grow lights as well. He
     uses no fertilizer and waters his ,plants every once in a while, or as
     needed. Usually when the top of the soil starts to dry out.
      I hope this helps.
               Charles
            Va Beach, Va