Microclimate comments

From: Rick Walker (walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 17:21:55 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:21:55 -0700
From: Rick Walker <walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Microclimate comments

------- Forwarded Message

This message was delayed because of a bad Subject: line.

Please remember to use descriptive Subject: lines without the
word "digest".

--
Rick

Rejected message: sent to cp@opus.hpl.hp.com by ANDREWM@ESKIMO.COM follows. Reason for rejection: suspicious subject.

This often happens when you forget to edit your Subject: line and it still contains the word "Digest". Such messages are now automatically rejected by the listserver. Please edit your message headers and resubmit your posting to the listserver. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello Group, Hello Ron,

> Andrew, first of all let me publicly and profusely apologize to you if I > offended you in any way. It was *not* my intention to publicly criticise you > or your growing methods or suggestions, I realize that you were trying to help > a fellow hobbyist who has had problems growing the plant, and upon re-reading > the quote I can see how and why you'd think that. Again, I *never* meant to > offend you in *anyway*. Sorry.

Ron, I accept your apology. Thank-you. I also apopogize for being as rough as I was, perhaps too rough as pointed out to me by a friend. (thanks!) There are no hard feelings. Thank-you again. To the group, I beg your collective pardon for playing this out in public. It is not my normal style to do this, and I hope not to have to do anything like this again. > > Folks, in stating that I was surprised at Andrew's suggestion that Sara > should use a styrofoam container when she lives in Darlintonia country, I had > forgotten a *very* important thing which Sara pointed out to me in her > response, and that was that although she is in the same *geographical* area, > she is in a different *climatological* area. The area is more like our > climate of central Oregon, in the rain shadow of a mountain range and hence is > dryer and hotter that where the Darlingtonia grow and indeed where I live. Folks, I submit that we all try and remember the importance of microclimates in the areas we visit and live, and when asking for advice. It is something I am keenly aware of having only to look out my window most days and watch the rain clouds tracking a half mile away, dumping rain as they go while I am completly dry. Your success or failure with plants may have less to do with what you do to grow it then precisely where you are located, even if it *should* be optimal, you may be missing something. I encourage all of us to take careful note of the daily temperature swings, rainfall amounts and distribution (ie when it rains most as compared to when the most rain falls in a given time period) and where the shadows fall in your gorwing area. Taking advantege of this information can mean success where failure or struggle has been the norm. Locating plants on the S.E. instead of S. side of the house for instance still gives great light and good growth, but should protect from the fiercest summer light. Relocate to the south in fall. (this may be different where you live, experiment). This information gathered at places that we visit and taken into account can lead to even greater understanding of the plants that we are trying to grow. This can only lead to success. Good growing Andrew

------- End of Forwarded Message