Re:charcoal and cephalotus

From: Laurent Legendre (laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr)
Date: Sat Jul 26 1997 - 07:27:21 PDT

Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 15:27:21 +0100
From: Laurent Legendre <laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:charcoal and cephalotus

Hi to all,

Thanks Paul and Dave. That was a warm response that does feel good. I had
never thought about using charcoal with other CP's besides Cephalotus but
that may be a good idea. Charcoal is a substance with complexe properties
if I understand it well. I know that it adsorbs these phenol-type
compounds which plants produce under stress conditions and which are quite
inhibitory to their growth. It also acts as a catalyser for red-ox
reactions such as the dechlorination of water. What else does do in our
potting mixes which plants like, I would not know. It may indeed also
bring a good aeration as you suggest Paul. What is certain, is that its
addition to Cephalotus soil mixes makes a real difference as far as the
number and especially the size of the pitchers are concerned.

The suggestion you make Dave that we may be making Bonzai plant by giving
them too shallow pots may be true. Even though I had never thought of it
as far as Ceph. is concerned, but I have noticed that many of the south
western Australian CP's have very long roots (including Ceph. and D.
hamiltonii). Digging out a pigmy drosera in the Perth or Esperance region
(I know we're not supposed to do that for fun!) is a really weird
experience: such a small plant with such a long root system. May be it
does help to keep the plants wet and cool as the top part of the soil may
become very hot and dry in some places, and may be some native Australian
can help us on that. But what I've noticed is that in culture, pigmy
drosera do beneficiate from having a pot more than 20 cm (about 8 inches)
deep. Thanks again.

Laurent Legendre.