Re: cephalotus and scale

From: Kevin Snively (ksnive@premier1.net)
Date: Wed Jul 30 1997 - 04:44:19 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 07:44:19 -0400
From: Kevin Snively <ksnive@premier1.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: cephalotus and scale

On 1997-07-26 cp@opus.hpl.hp.com said:

 sh>(No blame on anyone but myself....should have followed
 sh>this person's instructions properly!) :-)
 sh>Thinking in my innocence that it would be O.K to use a weak
 sh>solution of any insecticide and due to the non-availability of
 sh>Malathion I placed 10 ml of Dimetheoate (systemic) in 3 gallons of
 sh>rainwater and immersed the plant in it for 15 minutes. Sure it
 sh>killed the scale, but it killed the large and attractive plant as
 sh>well! <:-(

 sh>Stuart Haxton

1 Dimetheoate has been used by many for treatment of infested CP
and was recomended by Slack in one of his books. I think No. 2
Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them. However one of the
older CPN Leo Song reported distortion of new growth in treated
plants. I can't remember who told me but this reaction is said
to be temprature dependent not showing up during cool weather.
I HATE using POISON on my plants but do when necessary. I consider
Dimetheoate a LATE Fall - Winter - EARLY Spring ansure only.

2 MOST CP re sensitive to the solvents used to carry the poison
not the poison its self. Probable exceptions are Nicotene and
in the case of Drosera and Pyrithrum. Malathion WP. (wetable powder)
is ok on CP. Liquid Malathion is not as safe for the plants.
Dimetheoate should only be used as a soil drench. Not on the Leaves.

I started growing CP to try to find "Organic Pest Control"
Now I dance with the Devil from time to time. :-|(

krs
Net-Tamer V 1.09.2 - Test Drive