weeds in NZ

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (barry@as.arizona.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 09:54:14 PDT

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:54:14 -0700
From: barry@as.arizona.edu (Barry Meyers-Rice)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: weeds in NZ

Dear Mad,

Interesting regarding the weed S. flava in NZ.

First, there have been some questions of what constitutes a weed.
In our office (the Exotic Species Program at The Nature Conservancy)
we consider a weed to be any plant which interferes with your management
objectives at a site.

Fortunately, I do not think that S. flava is likely to be an aggressive,
invasive weed. I suspect that someone scattered seed at the area in NZ in
question. It would be easily controlled by pulling the plant.

Barry