Howdy and such.

From: Joe & Justene Harden (joeharden@geocities.com)
Date: Sun Aug 03 1997 - 13:03:05 PDT

Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 15:03:05 -0500
From: Joe & Justene Harden <joeharden@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Howdy and such.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me ID a plant I found here in
San Antonio, Texas. It's branching pattern is very similar to a
Nepenthes, opposite arrangement of leaves growing on an upward stem, but
the leaves are much smaller and slightly pubescant. Furthermore, the
traps resemble those of a cobra lily plant, but smaller too. At the base
of the trap, which grows out of the stalk of the plant, is a round mass
of plant tissue, which is where I believe the insects get digested.
This plant seems to actually be somewhat drought tolerant (hey, it's
growing in Texas!) and self-propagates by underground runners. There
are about 3 dozen of these plants in the area, all thriving pretty well
compared to the plants around them...but I'm afraid they will not be
here long, do to some planned re-landscaping.... Can anyone give me some
advice on what this plant is, and the best way to relocate it....The
only thing I know is someone told me it could be a Texas Black Lily... I
have access to several differnet root hormone chemicals, several
greenhouses which maintain good humidity and stable temperatures, and a
variety of soil mixes...I was planning on putting these plants in the
same enviroment they are in, but near an abandoned shack on our
farm....No risk of them being torn up/scraped up there. Can anyone help?

Joe Harden
joeharden@geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/9815/