Pesticides versus organic

From: Niels Asger Nielsen (NAN@HDC.HHA.DK)
Date: Mon Aug 04 1997 - 02:57:18 PDT

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:57:18 +0200
From: NAN@HDC.HHA.DK (Niels Asger Nielsen)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pesticides versus organic

Mike wrote:

>If anyone would like info regarding companion plants.. and which deter
>which insects just let me know...

I think (I could be wrong) many people on the list would like to have some
info on that subject. At least I would.

My 0.02$: Generally, I prefer to avoid using pesticides on my plants. I can
manage because I don't have a million plants. I just peel the creep off,
even when it is creep as small as spidermites! (I have good eyes :-) But
generally I would defend proper farm-use of the least harming pesticides.
With our current knowledge, organic farming does not yield nearly as much
as conventional farming and what would happen if pesticides in general
where abolished. The farmland would have to be increased dramaticcaly,
leaving even less areas free from human intervention and single-plant
cultures. And worse: The land that would have to be drawn into culture
would be the areas with poorer soils (like fx. CP-soil or rainforest soil)
where paradoxiccally bio-diversity is known to be the largest.

Best regards

Niels Asger Nielsen
MAPP researcher, Msc

The Aarhus School of Business