Re: N. maxima

From: Alastair Robinson (Alastair_R@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 1997 - 06:05:47 PDT

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 09:05:47 -0400
From: Alastair Robinson <Alastair_R@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. maxima

Nepenthes maxima is, as you probably know, a highlander, also being one o=
those that is *generally* more tolerant of warmer temperatures than some
others - mine thrives at up to 27deg.C but I feel much happier keeping it=

below 24 and above 16/18 C though it will take it quite a few degrees low=
er
than that. I keep all my plants lit for about 14 hours a day under
fluorescent lights and they are happy with that. Soil wise, my N.maxima
grows in a peat/hortag mix which I originally got it in <and don't really=

like> and would otherwise pop it into a vermiculite,bark and peat mix
<c.3:2:1> although perlite can be used too. I try to keep the peat prett=
low as they tend to be more vigorous in more open soils - but it is
necessary to aid in water retention lest the plants dry out when
inadvertently left alone for a while... Water wise, I just add some from=

above when the soil starts to get dry, and any water which drains into th=
dish, I leave seeing as my mixes are all light and not too conducive to r=
ot
<as yet!>

All the best,
        Alastair.