Re: Invaders in New Zealand

From: Davin George (biopcs@shell.iconz.co.nz)
Date: Mon Aug 04 1997 - 13:08:20 PDT

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 08:08:20 +1200 (NZST)
From: Davin George <biopcs@shell.iconz.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Invaders in New Zealand

> No-one on the email here has any knowledge of this site.
> There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that U. gibba is wild and
> rampant in nz, but I don't know how much fact there is. Certainly it
> has made it hard to get any utric into nz as the agriculture ministry
> now has utrics on its list of baddies. Heaven forbid sarracenia gets
> onto their list.

U. gibba has mainly gotten away in several small lakes up north. And where
its been put its done extremely well. I've seen photos of this and can
definitely understand where MAF and DOC are coming from. Gibba has settled
in quite nicely and definitely overtaken the native species. If I remember
rightly its used to colder weather so anywhere round Auckland with stable
warm weather it'll love.

Its not just Sarras we have to worry about. There are people that have
planted out D capensis of all things in the wild up Auckland way also.
This plant is gonna have a ball and has from what I've heard. Its a plant
that easily disperses its seed on the wind and if the conditions are right
it'll go nuts. I'd hate to see us loose both Sarras and Droseras, most of
our members grow these and they are a favourite with people. Not everybody
wants to try the 'exotic' species such as Nepethes or Heliamphoras.

This is something that we as a society should be looking at and trying to
prevent. It could definitely do alot of damage to the hobby

Davin